Sunday, March 28, 2010

New Look 6704

This should have been the last item for my mini wardrobe.  Alas for the capri fail!  This top turned out better!
Not perfect, but better!  I think my FBA is a little low, so there is some extra space below the bust that is visually making the girls look lower than they are.  Not my best look.
You can see it from the side as well.  I'd try taking in a bit in the princess seam, but that sucker is topstitched.
A decent fit from the back, particularly in the shoulders.  The yoke is quite nice for shaping there.  I could stand to shave off a bit more in the waist, but that may exaggerate the problems in front, so maybe not.  As the surgeons say - The enemy of good is better.

For piece #4 of the mini wardrobe, Mitch suggested that instead of the gauchos I make a long skirt from the heather grey ponte knit.  I think it is a great idea!  I'm going to use the yoga style waistband from the Butterick gaucho pattern and draft a basic A-line skirt in an ankle length.  Thoughts, anyone?

10 comments:

Beangirl said...

My thoughts are that Mitch has quite the eye for fashion.

I like that idea. Will that be too hot for summer or is this a strictly spring wardrobe? I can't remember.

Julia said...

That blue really looks great on you!

Uma Mageswari Preve said...

Wow! very well done!

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

I thought you were going to say a chance to cut is a chance to cure, hehe! The shirt looks nice!

Marybeth said...

I like the skirt idea - you'll get a lot of use out of it, but probably more in the fall than in the summer... Great work on the shirt - the color is very flattering on you!

Linda L said...

I like Mitch's suggestion as well. Really enjoying seeing your mini-wardrobe progress.

Mary Nanna said...

pretty colour on you - I have the same problem with FBA's in princess darts - I often put the dart fullness in the wrong place (usually too high for me) and then I'm kind of stuck because even with taking in or letting out it still looks a little odd ... added to that I have a hollow chest so I have to take in, let out, take in again .. sigh.

I'm sure you've answered this before, but how, oh how, do you find the time (and energy) to do so much sewing?

meli88a said...

I'm with everyone else -- Mitch's skirt idea sounds fun and perfect for summertime!

gwensews said...

Well, it sounds like we need Mitch to do some wardrobe critiqe for all of us! Most husbands just say, "humm, ahhhh, whatever you think"--advice like that!

Angela said...

The top looks great! I think the skirt is a great idea!