Thursday, June 23, 2011

Happy Birthday to me!

Today I am 34. 30 was a pretty tough birthday for me, but now that I am firmly entrenched in my thirties, I'm actually pretty OK with it. My 30s have been great so far and I expect them to just get better. Anyway, since we are here in a new city, I've been planning to check out the local fabric scene today. Mitch told me to get some things just for me. Here in Salt Lake, there is one street with 4 fabric stores, including Yellow Bird, which I have been itching to go to since Sunni talked about it on her blog.
If you are itching to go yourself (and you should be) I have to warn you that it is not an easy place to find. It is in the former location of "Fashion Affair" and Google Maps can't seem to get them straight. It is a wee shop hidden in the same parking lot as a frame shop. Adorable and cozy. Also, most. gorgeous. fabric. ever. I couldn't stop touching - silk, linen, wool, rayon - all beautiful. And so much silk! Two rooms full!
Here is a small corner full of linen with silk on the bolts next door. I love her inspiration board. You'll also see on several bolts photos of garments you could create with the fabric. Cute and inspirational!
Here are a couple of little rolls of brocade next to a few remnants. This one is on sale! Her prices were not bargain basement, but they were quite good for the quality of fabric in the shop. She also carries Decades of Style, Folkwear and OOP Butterick (which were only $3!) patterns as well as a small selection of hard to find notions. The proprietress is helpful and friendly, but not at all intrusive. Overall it was a wonderful experience to shop there.
While I could have easily spent a small (or even large) fortune there on lovely fabric, I picked out just one yummy sateen to make a dress, and also got this Butterick wardrobe pattern. Look past the scary orange and pink cover art and the jacket and blouse are very cute.
After Yellow Bird, I popped in to a local quilt shop (why do I ever bother??), then checked out JoAnn (where I bought duckie buttons and nothing else) and then Hancock. At JAs, it was the usual story. Long lines, grumpy customers and not enough sales help. I really don't know why anyone shops there. After that, I went to Hancock's. They were not busy and the sales help were all friendly and welcoming. I found some pique and lining for a jacket as well as some knit remnants for the kids. After that, I was planning to head home, but on a whim stopped in at a thrift store. Now I don't have the kind of luck at thrift stores that you all read about on Mary Nanna and Kristy's blogs. But today I did great!
They had patterns and fabric!!! Now, most of the fabric there was of the scary polyester variety, I did score some lightweight purple stuff that may have some natural fiber in it. It has a linen-y feel. I also got the striped velour for PJs for the kids. The patterns are mostly from the 80s, but there were two (in my size even!) great wardrobe patterns from the 70s as well as a cute little girl's dress pattern from the same era. There was also a mail order Marian Martin pattern!! It's a little big for me and the pieces are cut, but how fun is that? Anyone know anything about dating these patterns? The postmark is 1980, so I guess that tells the story? I didn't realize they were still being produced that late. Guess I have some homework to do but first, dinner out with my family and some cake and ice cream! And in a few days, there will be a package from Gorgeous Fabrics to admire. Thanks, Mom!

26 comments:

Louiz said...

Happy birthday! What a lovely day it sounds.

Nichole said...

Happy birthday!

I go to JoAnn Fabrics because it's literally the only fabric store within a reasonable distance of my house. You're completely right about the service; you're basically on your own when you go in there. I wish there was somewhere else I could go/afford.

Sam Rose said...

Happy Birthday! (again :) ) Joann Fabric is just the closest to me. Now that I live near D.C. I'm planning a trip to G-Street and drool over their website all the time.

Cindy said...

Happy Birthday Katie!

Jillybejoyful said...

Great BIG Birthday Happies to you KD! And congrats on your finds - sometimes just petting loads of luscious fabric is enough to make my day, but a thrift store find tops it off.

May your year bring you much sewing joy :)

Sandi said...

Happy birthday! I'll be 39 next Thursday and I have totally decided I don't give a flip about my age. I do like your idea of fabric shopping as a birthday treat.

Beth said...

Happy birthday!!!!!

I've read about Yellow Bird elsewhere--glad it's a great store.

Sharon Sews said...

Happy Birthday! Sounds like you had a wonderful day.

Sue said...

Happy Birthday - a perfect day from the sunds of it!

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

What a great day! Happy birthday!

kbenco said...

Happy Birthday.
What a lovely present shopping trip. Great thrift store score.
(My theory is that Mary Nanna and Kirsty have Aunties who do volunteer work at the op shops and ring them up whenever the good stuff comes in. I have no evidence at all for this theory, but it makes me feel less jealous ;))

wendy said...

happy birthday! :o)

Lilian said...

Congratulations on your birthday. You are still so young!
And how nice to have such a great fabricstore in your new neighbourhood. Enjoying all the fabrics is a (birthday)gift in itself.

BConky said...

Happy Birthday. It's my wedding anniversary today. I've been married one year more than you've been alive. How funny is that. I'm sure you are thrilled they have multiple fabric stores in your new state. I'm pretty sure I had that 70's little girls pattern in my stash many years ago.

Myrna said...

Belated Happy Birthday. I'm glad you had such a wonder "you" day. YES YES. Great finds.

Tanit-Isis said...

Bappy Earthday! That fabric store sounds lovely... I'm glad you got to treat yourself.

Turning thirty last year kinda blew, so I'm glad to hear it gets better ;).

gwensews said...

Happy Belated Birthday! Make some beautiful things. Best wishes in your new enviornment.

Eugenia said...

Happy Birthday! Sounds like you had a lovely time and bought yourself some very nice things - quite right too!

Lisa said...

Happy Birthday , your day sounds perfect to me .

Joy said...

Happy Birthday! Sounds like a great way to spend the day!

Nice thrift store finds - I'm having a hard time even finding thrift stores around here.

Enjoy 34! This year I'll officially reach the mid-point. I think 35 will be harder than 30.

Sewing Geek said...

I just found out about a new fabric store in town, though I haven't been there yet.

Tissu' Fine Fabrics & Design Gallery
345 W. Pierpont Ave.

This is downtown Salt Lake, not too far from the Gateway Mall.

Also, Cottonwood Fabrics - Open @ 10 a.m.
8617 So. Highland Dr. (2000 E.)

Designer's Resource Center - Open @ 9 a.m.
2253 So. 500 E.

Marjie said...

Happy Birthday! It's wonderful that you're finding your way around your new home so well.

We used to have Scranton Fabric, privately owned, but it closed down about 8 years ago. We also had a Hancock, but it was closed about 3 years ago. So now I'm just stuck with Joann's. I only go there for emergencies or patterns. Thank heaven for internet fabric stores.

Kristy Chan said...

Happy birthday, what a great way to spend the day. I'll be having a 34th birthday this year too, so I know what you mean about getting over being mid 30s (of course there's alway 40 coming up to obsess over...)

I'm glad you found some goodies in the thrift store too, hopefully the first of many!

Pam said...

Happy Birthday! Wow! You did get some real goodies - and so quickly finding good places!

Amy said...

It's a little - but Happy Birthday. What a great way to spend your day!

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

Happy Belated Birthday! I'm so glad that you got to do something that made you happy!