Beth and I had a chance to sit down and knit a bit a few days ago and she taught me how to work an increase. Thank goodness, because every time I read the directions in my book I got more confused!! It was so much better to see it done and then for her to watch me do it and make sure I got it right. Once I had increasing down, she showed me a simple garter stitch dishcloth pattern to practice with. I have to say that having a real pattern for practice is a whole lot more fun than just random knitting!
For the third one, I thought it would be fun if I knitted the middle in seed stitch, since it makes such great bumps. I thought that would be good for pot scrubbing. Somehow, it didn't quite turn out as I planned...
Oh well, at least I think it will still be fine for washing dishes.
Comparing the two side by side made me think about how interesting it is that something as simple as a change in stitch makes such a difference in the final "fabric". And how a fabric choice and weave choice can really effect the final appearance of a sewn (or knitted) garment. Think silk twill vs. silk chiffon. Interesting.
Anyway, I'm pretty happy with my dishcloths! I even washed up the breakfast dishes with one this morning. It worked great! And did a great job wiping down the sink afterward. How great are these things! And when it gets gross, I don't throw it away, just toss it in the wash. No more buying scrubbing sponges for me!