Tuesday, March 31, 2015

The Barrie Boy Cut Briefs!

So, in the interest of not getting weird Google search hits, we'll be referring to the above items as "pants" in the UK sense. Just to make that clear. But I'm excited to finally have some that FIT!! Just released yesterday, the Barrie Boy Cut Briefs by Kitschy Coo.
In fact, I love them so much that I am posting pics. Because I have never had a pair of store bought pants that did not expose cheek or creep into inappropriate places. And these stay put!! No creeping, no shifting, no need to tug on them all day. They are awesome.
I thought it might be interesting, in the interest of science, to do a little comparison photo between the Barrie Briefs and my typical boy cut brief, which I get at Target. The thing I noticed immediately is that the backside/leg coverage is completely different. The storebought pants have a higher leg rise, but angle up sharply so that the coverage in the rear is compromised. The leg openings also do not pull in snugly. These factors make them very pretty on a table or hanger in the store, so we buy them, but they don't curve around the body, so they're uncomfortable on.
Unlike the Barrie Briefs, which come low enough on the leg and are full enough in back to cover the topic, and which also feature snug leg bands, which hold everything in place. This rocketship pair was the first I made. It is the low-rise in a straight size 4, and it is perfection.
This pair is my favorite. In general, I don't wear cotton knit pants, so I made this pair out of mesh with stretch lace in place of the bands. I used the same pattern pieces, including using the band lengths to measure my stretch lace. I used a scrap of cotton knit for the gusset and constructed them per the instructions, except that I topstitched on the lace rather than sewing it on like a band.
In addition to being insanely comfortable and fitting like a dream, they are super fast to make and take very little fabric, so they're super economical. So, see you later poorly fitting Target pants - I'm wearing the Kitschy Coo Barrie Boy Cut Briefs from here on out!!

14 comments:

Splinters & Stitches said...

Cute! I've been making my own "pants" for quite a while, and I don't think I could ever go back to wearing the RTW version. My thighs appreciate their freedom far too much. ;-) So even with just the lace these stay put and don't creep? I've got a pattern (or two) that uses lace like that at the legs/waist, but I was never convinced that they would work. Not enough tension or something.

Katie Deshazer said...

The lace pair stay put the best of the two! The lace is nice and snug and since it has a bit of a texture, doesn't slide at all. They're great!

Carol Ware said...

I'm sold. Just places my order! Thanks for sharing!!

Katie Deshazer said...

Yay!!

Jo said...

Oh thank you for making them with stretch lace and telling us about it! Lacy knickers have never been something I've found wearable because they're never the right shape, but this looks like a very promising thing to do so I'll be trying it out as soon as I get hold of some stretch lace! I already have the pattern at the ready :-)

Gillian said...

Swoon! You've totally sold me. I knew I'd end up buying this pattern eventually, but now I want it right away! I might make them a bit higher rise though, because I'm all squooshy at the sides and low rise always makes a dent. Maybe perfectly-fit me-made ones won't do that though? Yours look fab! Thanks for showing proper pics! :)

Cindy said...

You are wonderfully brave! It is such a relief when a plan works out perfectly.

Marjie said...

Fit, creep and LINES are such problems! and I hate the no-coverage, crawl up the backside style that the kids wear these days. You're very brave to show us actual photos of these!

Katie Deshazer said...

Yay! I hope you like them!

Katie Deshazer said...

There is also a mid-rise version in the pattern, so you don't have to do any work to raise the rise! Yay!

Elizabeth said...

So cute! That looks like a really promising pattern. My own attempts at sewing panties haven't worked out so well with fit, but I do have a few RTW ones that fit decently. I'd be interested to compare them to this pattern.

Meg McCarthy said...

Love your lace version- great idea! I made the higher rise in jersey the other day and the pattern is pretty amazing...

Katie Deshazer said...

That would be interesting! I wonder what the "secret" is...

Dr. Fun said...

LOVE these! And thanks for actual pics, which give a better sense of how they fit....though I did get a couple of looks from people in the airport :)