Monday, June 2, 2014

Pattern Parcel #3: The April Rhodes Staple Dress

I am loving these Perfect Pattern Parcels!! Each one has been a well curated collection of basics with flair. They've been super fun to sew, and even more fun to wear!
Pattern Parcel #3
And this women's collection is killing it. Perfect for summer or what?! Beachwear, loungewear, a great carryall bag, even the most amazing swimsuit ever. It was a tough call, but since I've already made one Bombshell swimsuit, I decided to make myself a Staple Dress.
That high-low hemline was just begging to be a part of my wardrobe. So fun right? And with only two main pattern pieces (plus pockets - pocketses, precious) you can whip one of these up in no time.
Check out that smooth, streamlined pocket. Aw, yeah. I can cram a lot of matchbox cars and Barbie shoes in there, baby.
But y'all, I'm not very good at following instructions. And there is nothing I like better than a knit dress. So I made my Staple dress out of my favorite ITY. This one happens to be from FabricMart.
Instead of binding the neckline with bias tape, I used rib knit and bound the neckline and sleeve hems using my coverstitch machine. Easy peasy and I think it has a very professional look.
One of the nicest features of this pattern (OK, ANOTHER really nice feature of this pattern) is the waist shaping, which is done with elastic shirring. I love how easy this is, but it's also a great way to really customize the fit, without any fuss. I shirred mine a little higher than the pattern called for, since I have a very high waist.
From the back, the shape is very sleek, despite the overall lack of shaping in the dress. The shirring keeps everything in place. And I love the way the back hem swishes when I walk! So fun.
I sewed up this baby pretty much straight from the package. The only alteration I made was to raise the shirring (as mentioned) and add length the bring the hemline in front to just below my knee. I really like the length here. It's very easy to wear without worrying about a wardrobe malfunction, and it feels luxurious.
Buy Pattern Parcel #3
Tag! You're it! What will you make from the third Perfect Pattern Parcel??
I want to see your Staple Dress!
Or maybe you're more of a Bombshell girl?
With Perfect Pattern Parcel #3, you can be both!!

Be sure to check out all of the other amazing Pattern Parcel bloggers!
Parcel #3 Inspiration Tour Schedule:
Friday, May 30 Sew Busy Lizzy || Pienkel || SeamstressErin
Saturday, May 31 Design By Lindsay || the Brodrick design studio || Cookin' and Craftin'
Sunday, June 1 Diary of a Chainstitcher || a happy stitch || Disaster in a Dress || sew Amy sew
'So, Zo... What do you know?'
Sunday, June 8 oonaballoona || A Stitching Odyssey || Sew Charleston
Monday, June 9 Sew Sweetness || True Bias || Ozzy Blackbeard
Tuesday, June 10 Welcome to the Mouse House || Sew Caroline || Adventures in Dressmaking
Wednesday, June 11 Peneloping || YoSaMi || sewVery
Thursday, June 12 la inglesita || La Pantigana || Sanae Ishida
Friday, June 13 Seamster Sewing Patterns || Paunnet

5 comments:

  1. I love seeing this made out of an ITY! I have a rayon version cut out and waiting to be sewn up and I have the shorts waiting to be traced. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful dress I just love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!! Another knockout -- you are totally bringing it before your move!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great dress Katie, the fabric is very eyecatching and is perfect made up in this simple but flattering shape. I think the shirring around the waist is a great idea for dresses to be worn with belt, because it seems to spread the gathering more evenly and reduces the bulk a bit.

    ReplyDelete