Monday, March 10, 2014

Perfect Pattern Parcel: Dandelion Top

I can't even tell y'all how excited I am to be part of the inaugural release of the Perfect Pattern Parcel! 
Perfect Pattern Parcel
I know you've probably already heard about this amazing group of patterns and the novel way they are supporting indie pattern companies while also giving to relevant charities, but just in case, go check out the website, patternparcel.com.
I had a really hard time deciding which pattern to sew for the blog tour. I'm pretty sure I'll be sewing all of the patterns in the package at some point, which is definitely not something I can say for most pattern bundles! Seriously, the lineup is awesome.
Parcel 1 Collage
 The Skater Dress by Kitschycoo Dandelion Dress & Top by Disparate Disciplines Summer Concert Tee by Dixie DIY Ava by Victory Patterns  Accordion Bag by Sew Sweetness
Since I've already sewn the Lady Skater a few *ahem* times (hint: you can see them here, here, here and here.) I decided to try the Dandelion Top by Disparate Disciplines
Every version of this pattern I've seen sewn up is amazing. I love the way the bodice is pieced. It shapes it nicely, and provides opportunities for color blocking, which I definitely had to take advantage of!
The pattern is drafted for wovens or stable knits, but I threw caution to the wind and sewed it up in jersey and interlock. The pink interlock is fairly stable, but the striped jersey of the center panels is nicely stretchy. I used a solid white interlock for the facings to minimize print or color show through.. Since the neckline is open and the fabric has plenty of stretch, I skipped the back zipper and cut the back panel on the fold - fewer stripes to match!
In fact, the only stripes I had to match were the half side seam! Win! The pink panel is actually one piece, so there are no side seams there. The design is very innovative. It looks very tricky to sew, but the instructions are excellent, so it wasn't confusing at all. It was actually really fun to see it all come together!
I'm madly in love with my Dandelion Top, and I hope you'll take a moment, if you haven't already to check out the Perfect Pattern Parcel website, and be sure to visit the other bloggers on the tour! It's a great lineup and I am honored to be among them.

One Little Minute SeamstressErin Designs One Girl Circus casa crafty the quirky peach Kadiddlehopper Sew Caroline Groovybabyandmama Fishsticks Designs the Brodrick blog verypurpleperson sew a straight line Adventures in Dressmaking true bias Idle Fancy La Pantigana Crafterhours Boy, Oh Boy, Oh Boy Crafts Max California YoSaMi la inglesita Diary of a Chainstitcher four square walls Lauren Dahl Sewbon mingo & grace Dandelion Drift VeryShannon Sanae Ishida buzzmills Sew Jereli Figgy's Froo & Boo a happy stitch Disaster in a Dress Things for Boys mama says sew sew Amy sew Sew Busy Lizzy Made With Moxie imagine gnats

And definitely don't forget to enter the giveaway!!
a Rafflecopter giveaway

17 comments:

  1. it's SO FAB! i'm in love with this top :) thank so much for being part of this! XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jill @ Made with MoxieMarch 10, 2014 at 9:28 AM

    Dandelion is my #1 in the stack of patterns to sew. You nailed it, lady! Looking super fine too! Thanks for being part of this. It means the world to us.


    Also, I LOVE your jeans. Tell me you made those too...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! It looks great! I must admit I'm surprised you got such a great fit with such a stretchy jersey, but I think being surprised by my own pattern is a good thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable top -- and it looks so comfy. Great job on a wonderful project!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it was saved by the nice firm interlock I used for the shoulders/side panels and on the facing so the neckline didn't have a chance to stretch out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks!! I was thrilled to be involved. Love this concept.
    I did make my jeans! They're Vogue 1059. And I love them too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you! I'm so happy to be involved in such an awesome project!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really cute top! I sewed one Skater dress, then my dearly beloved had his triple bypass and I've done nothing for 2 months - because nothing else mattered. But what I'm focused on is that you all have skiing near SLC, and your grass is greening up, while I have a 6" thick snow/ice block all over my yard!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was not sure if I liked the Dandelion top but you have changed that! I love the color blocking with the pink and the stripes... perfect sleeve length... and it looks so nice with those super cool jeans!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great color blocking on the top.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing! The lines of this top are really fun, and your color blocking shows them off really well. This reminds me of one of the many mythical garments I will be making after seeing something similar on Lucy Liu on Elementary (that show makes me crazy with her outfits--she's wearing something with great construction like every scene). I'm glad to know about PPP too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks! I'm so glad he's doing better! I've been following along on your blog, and you've been in my thoughts and prayers.
    It's funny you should comment on the green - it snowed this morning! Crazy weather!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks! I'm really pleased with how it came together!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks! I love an interesting top! Lucy Liu is amazing. I don't think I've seen that show. I'll have to go look it up!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think I will be stalking this blog : joansfashionshow.tumblr.com...it'll keep me from having to sketch while I'm watching.

    ReplyDelete