Thursday, August 1, 2013

Monthly Roundup: July 2013

July was a pretty crazy month around here. The trip to Tennessee took a lot of my time and energy, not to mention the week away from my sewing room. Still, it was a reasonably productive month.

I made:
1) Kitschy Coo Skater Dress x3 for Myra and Emma
2) Kitschy Coo Lady Skater Dress for me
3) Logan's sensory tent
4) Ottobre 02/2006-11 pants for me
5) McCalls 6035 blouse for me
6) McCalls 3830 knit skirt for me
7) Simplicity 3503 dress for me
8) Kitschy Coo Dolman Top maxi dress for Myra

That is a total of 10 items. As I look over the list I realize that all but one of the garments was sewn from a pattern I had used before. That's really not like me, but it sure made for faster and simpler sewing. I am starting to see the benefit of having a TNT or two to just whip out garments! So, I sewed up 22.5 yards, which brings my total for the year so far to 143.75 yards sewn. I brought in 31.25 yards. A large chunk of that was gifted and two of those pieces have already been sewn, but still... The yearly total in is 171.75, which puts me over for the year nearly 30 yards. I'm a stashbusting failure.
The month of August is likely to be a crazy one for me personally, so I'm not sure how much sewing I'll get done. I also have a lot of boring sewing I need to do, so it may be quiet around here. I won't inflict another set of flannel PJs or the 14th pair of knit shorts I've sewn, but I'll share when I come across something interesting and new patterns I use. I've been slacking off on my goal to share a sewing tip with each post, partly because of busy, but also because I'm never sure what y'all would find interesting and instructive, so if you have anything you've been wondering about or something you'd like me to address, please leave a comment and I'll be sure to talk about it.

Along with the kid sewing, there are a few things I'd like to make for myself. Topping my list is a pair of white jeans as suggested by Carolyn. I ordered some white twill from Mood and once it arrives I'm going to sew those up. I'm on the fence about style though. Initially I thought I'd make skinnies, but would straight leg or a slight flare be more useful? My last pair of white jeans were wide legged and I wore them to death. Tell me what you think! Is the skinny jeans fad on the wane, or should I jump on it while it lasts?

7 comments:

Brooke said...

Impressive amount of fabric! My stash never seems to shrink either!

I say sew the style pants you already have the most tops to wear with. I don't see any style going away anytime soon - we live in an anything goes fashion-wise era. =)

Cindy said...

Your fabric stash is amazing!

If you wore the wide legged pair of white jeans a lot, I'd lean towards sewing a pair with a slight flare.;)

Unknown said...

Looks like we are all on the same page lately... 'Bust That Stash"! Lets not focus on the negative, just keep plugging away! I have another couple yards to stitch before I get my first "10 yards sewn" reward, and I already have my eye on a cut at Mood, too!

auntninn said...

It really comes down to how you would wear the white jeans. If they are white and skinny they become almost like leggings with the tops you can wear with them. If you tend to wear those kinds of tops most then skinny would work well. With a bit of flare they become more like regular pants and would go with those kinds of tops. Look in your closet at your top five or so favorite tops and picture what kind of pants you would wear with them. Or if there is some top you've been dying to sew up, pick the one that would go best with that one. I fall into the trap (shopping) of picking a piece without thinking about what I would wear with it and then I have something I love that just hangs in the closet.

Kristy Chan said...

I don't think the skinny leg fashion is going away soon either - Brooke is right, these days you can wear what you like and what suits best which is after all why we sew! Love your stash photo, it's as bad (or should that be good?) as mine in terms of messiness and volume!

Anonymous said...

Oh stash, why can't I quit you?

Anonymous said...

Oh stash, why can't I quit you?