Friday, December 9, 2011

Simplicity 2520

I'm still in a bit of a knit top mode. I mentioned in my last post that I had this thin jersey that I had originally pegged for the Kwik Sew top. Idecided it was too thin for that, but I think it's perfect for this.
This pattern is Simplicity 2520. When I originally purchased this pattern, it was for this knit top. It has interesting lines, and I'm a sucker for an interesting knit top pattern. Somehow, I just never found the perfect fabric for it until now, although I did make the gored skirt from the pattern. But the top - I love the design. It is a mock turtleneck which forms a yoke into which the upper bodice is pleated.
Here are the pleats. You can see the fabric a little better in this shot as well. It is a very thin poly/cotton jersey with a soft gold finish. I think it's perfect for the holidays! Anyway, you can also see that this is quite a snug neckline. The pattern calls for a zipper at center back through the yoke section only. In a firmer, sturdier knit, I think this would be necessary to get the top over your head, but this fabric has about 110% stretch and is very light. A zipper would have weighed down the back and caused ripples, so it is fortunate that I can (just!) get it over my head without it.
As is typical for the Big 4, this pattern has plenty of ease! I cut a straight size 10, although my upper bust puts me in a 12, and my full bust is a 14. Based on the finished pattern measurements printed on the tissue, I went ahead an skipped the FBA, thinking I would prefer the top to have a bit of negative ease. It doesn't, although I do fill out the pleats.
I also really like the sleeve on this top. It is a raglan style, gathered into elastic at the hem, which hits me just past elbow length. The elastic gives my fine jersey a bit of weight, which helps the sleeve hang well. Over all, I am quite pleased with this top, and I'm glad that I chose to use it for this fabric. I definitely think this pattern benefits from a very stretchy, lightweight knit.

16 comments:

Lilian said...

I have this pattern too! I bought a Simplicity-magazine (available in the Netherlands for some time now) and seeing your top I immediately recognized that pattern.
Your top turned out great!
Thanks for the review. Good to know about the size-thing and wether to put in a zipper or not.
I'm very tempted to make it myself, especially now I've seen it made up so beautiful.

Sarahbelle said...

I LOVE this neckline!!!
I, however, look hideous in a turtleneck - mock or otherwise. When we visit in a couple of weeks (yikes! 2 weeks!!!), maybe we can take a look, and brainstorm a way to reduce it to a scoop-necked-cum-yoke. I should love to have it in a thin silk jersey. Where did you find your fabric for this?

I'll bring the pattern with me.

Yikes! 2 more weeks!!!

Ginnie said...

I really like that neckline! Not something I would normally look twice at on a line-drawing pattern front, but I LOVE your version! I might even make one in a sparkly red for Christmas.

Anonymous said...

Very attractive top! Love it in winter white.

Sarahbelle said...

Ginnie:
Sparkly Red?? Yep. That would work! I can see it with dark green wool trousers for the office party, or with a long, black velvet skirt for a date.
Get to sewing!

Witch Hazel said...

I have never noticed this pattern before, but I am also a sucker for an interesting knit top. This one looks really great on you! I would never want to make it in something requiring a zipper, but you found the perfect fabric. And the fit is really great too! Beautiful holiday top.

Audrey said...

I was excited to see this top in your post as I have this pattern and bought it for many of the same reasons as you did. It looks great! I definitly need to make it too.

Marjie said...

That top came out really well! I love the pleats at the yoke, and the sparkles in the fabric are wonderful. I see this with a black or red skirt for Christmas parties!

prttynpnk said...

I really like how the neck and shoulders area sits, very flattering

SEWN said...

Oh I love that fabric. I love anything with a sparkle to it. Beautiful top!

Jo said...

You look SO attractive in this top! Definite winner!

Linda L said...

I like the style lines of this top. I have not paid attention to this pattern previously. I am glad you reviewed it. Will have to add this to my wish list.

Robyn said...

It's really pretty, can't beat a great knit top.

gwensews said...

That is so pretty. You look like you're ready to entertain-hosting a holiday party in your home! Or do you just always dress beautifully when taking care of 3 kids, a home and a husband?

Anonymous said...

So cute. My favorite rtw sweater has a very similar neckline except it is gathered instead of pleated, and the turtleneck is split on one side into a tie. As much as I'm not a fan of pleats/gathering over a full bust, I'm surprised at how nice that sweater is on me. I think the turtleneck brings some balance and draws the eye upward. All that to say that yours is also a rather flattering fit on you as well.

Joy said...

This has such pretty and interesting details - both the yoke and the sleeves. Good call on eliminating the zipper.
I feel your pain in not having the right fabric (or right pattern) to match what you have, but it's kind of ridiculous considering I have a healthy supply of both.