Monday, August 1, 2011

Monthly Roundup: July 2011

July has been an interesting month in many ways. I was very productive, and also very busy. As I mentioned last month, I've been a little down and stressed out. I wanted to try to find a little more balance in the things that I do, and to seek out ways to help other, starting at home. At first, I thought I'd take a month or so off of sewing for myself. You, my dear friends, pointed out to me that perhaps I was swinging the pendulum to far the other way, and I think y'all were right! If I had forbidden myself from sewing "selfishly" then I would have been resentful of the sewing that I was doing, and it would have had the opposite effect, pulling me down even more. But you know, as I was thinking about what I wanted to do for my family and friends, I found I was really excited about the projects that I had planned. I ended the month having sewn not a single stitch for myself, and you know, I'm really happy about it!

So, for the month of July, I sewed;
1) Ottobre 01/2010-15 blouse for Myra
2) Ottobre 01/2010-13 PJ pants for Myra
3) Ottobre 01/2010-19 PJ top for Myra
4) Jalie 2792 leotard for Myra
5) Stroller seat for Myra
6) Simplicity 2290 PJ pants for Logan
7) Butterick 4222 PJ top for Logan
8) Ottobre 01/2010-18 leggings for Myra
9) Ottobre 06/2008-13 top for Myra
10) 11 one piece aprons for the Hopi Indian Reservation
11) Ottobre 03/04-8 tee as a gift
12) Ottobre 06/08-2 leggings as a gift
13) Ottobre 03/04-7 pinafore as a gift
14) Kwik Sew 3299 tee for Mitch
15) Ottobre 03/2011-21 shirt for Logan

Not counting the aprons, that is 14 individual items, which is pretty good, especially considering that I've also been trying to unpack my house. Boy, it's been a relief having all of our things, but I really hate unpacking!! Since there were a lot of small things, I didn't use a ton of yardage - only 10.25 yards, of which 7.25 came from stash.

I'm so glad that I took this break from just sewing for me. I had forgotten how much I enjoy fulfilling a real need and sewing for others. I'm going to try to keep that in mind as I go forward. Believe it or not, the kids still l need more PJs.
At the moment, I do have a few projects for myself planned. On the cutting table at the moment is the Colette Sorbetto that everyone has been making. It's still in the muslin stage, as I don't wear sleeveless tops, so I'm playing around with some sleeve options. After that I have pulled some ITY to make Vogue 8724. I really love the way Shannon's wearable muslin of this one turned out and can't wait to make my own. After that, I really need to turn my attention to Fall and Winter sewing. I heard somewhere that it gets cold here in Utah. It'll be interesting to see what that's like...

6 comments:

Debra Martin said...

The ITY Vogue sounds wonderful. I am glad to hear you are feeling better.
:)Deb M.

kbenco said...

That is a very generous sewing month. I am not sure that it is a good thing to train your children to appreciate home made pjs though. There are some very large children at my house that still beg for them. (This is good when I want slavish appreciation though)

gwensews said...

You've had a lot of changes in a short amount of time. I can understand why you would be a bit down. You were very productive though, despite all of it.

Andrea said...

You never cease to amaze me!

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

Geeze and I thought I sewed alot this month...you've really been giving your sewing machine a work out!

Joy said...

Ah, it's so hard to balance everything. It's hard to prioritize (sewing or whatever) when everything is a priority! I often struggle with trying to figure it out - I'll let you know when I do (: