Monday, May 3, 2010

MMM, Day 2 and big news!

Sunday is church day at our house, and usually that means that my kiddos are both in Me-Made outfits, but this week Logan isn't well, so he stayed home, and lounged around in a Lightning McQueen tee shirt and shorts.

Myra and I got up and ready to go!
I'm wearing Vogue 8379, which I made in the days before my sewing blog.  It is interesting to look at the construction of this dress and all the rookie mistakes I made!!  None of the seams or edges are finished.  I used non-stretch interfacing, which might have actually been a good thing, since I didn't stabilize the neckline at all.  I made no fit adjustments and cut based on my full bust.  And despite all that, it remains one of my favorite dresses.  Some day I'll make it up right!

ETA: Sister asked what fabric I made this dress in, which reminded me that since this was pre-blog, I didn't really talk about it.  The pattern is great.  Ask any of the 40 gazillion ladies on PR who have made it.  Even two sizes too big (I know, I didn't know what I was doing) it still fits me reasonably well.  I made it out of matte jersey from Hancock, which ended up being an ideal fabric both for the pattern, as the weight gives the skirt swing and stability as well as holding those darn facings down, and for my level of inexperience at the time, as it is a reasonably firm knit that is forgiving of sewing oopsies, and the cut edges are very stable.  My biggest gripe about this dress is that the front pleats DO NOT stay flat.  I think this is primarily because I sewed a size 14 without alterations, instead of the 10 with FBA that I should have done.  Lesson learned.  Eventually.
Myra wore her Kitschy Coo Mini Mod dress.  We both love this dress.

Sure looks perky, doesn't she?  Of course, about five minutes after we got to church, she brought breakfast back up all over both of us, so we didn't get to wear our dresses for long!  We spent the rest of the day in lounge pants and tee shirts.  At least our tees were me-made!  Myra wore her Puffis, and I wore the one I drafted with Cal Patch's book.  And then I did the laundry...

In other news, one of my tops made the Finals in Spring Top week!!
It's up for voting today, so head over to Made By Rae and check them all out!

12 comments:

Uta said...

Great dresses! I still make knit dresses like that...

Sam Rose said...

Go, Katie, Go!! Hope you do well with your spring top!

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

I love that dress, Katie! What's the fabric? I'm definitely checking out that pattern! Sorry your kiddos are sick - hope it passes soon.

Beangirl said...

That dress looks GREAT on you (regardless of the sizing). This reminds me that I have a question for you myself: you seem to use a lot of knits from Hancock's which I'm assuming means they're poly? Do you find them too hot? I never ever use poly anything, because I can't get over the whole "help I'm in a garbage bag" feeling, but then saying that it's been decades since I wore poly and maybe it's improved?? Enquiring minds want to know!

(Also, good luck on the contest!)

KID, MD said...

Thanks all!

@ Sister - I posted in the body all about the dress, including that it is made of matte jersey from Hancock.

@ Beangirl - Hancock and Hobby Lobby are the only game in town around here, and you know all about my love/hate relationship with HL knits... This one is poly, and it is a little heavy for the heat of summer, but it actually breathes surprisingly well. I have had a bit of a bias against poly everything myself, but since the dearth of decent fabrics around here has forced the issue, I have found myself surprisingly pleased with how they have performed, even in the Texas summer. I'm happiest with blended wovens (rayon/poly is freaking brilliant) and ITY knits in general.

Eugenia said...

I love your knit dress and you look wonderful in it. It certainly doesn't look like there are problems with the fit!! Congratulations on the success of your top.

Lilian said...

Good for you for reaching the finals. And guess who got my vote ;-)

Sue said...

I love your Vogue dress - the colour is great on you. But why would you want to finish the seams on a jersey?

Debra Martin said...

Katie, I can see why that dress is a fave. It looks great!

Kathi said...

Congratulations!!

Amy said...

You and Myra look beautiful in your dresses! Congrats on having your tops in the finals!

amber said...

I love that red dress - beautiful color and style for you.