Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Expo haul and burdastyle 02/2010-122 muslin

So, my mom and sister got to go to Expo this year.  Although I didn't get to go, mom was kind enough to do some serious shopping for me!
Clockwise from upper right - the modkids Kyoto top and dress pattern, cute owls and cupcakes flannel - soon to be more PJs for Myra, a couple of yards of a fun printed cotton - destined to be a full skirt for me, some Lightning McQueen twill tape - Logan's going to LOVE this!, and some cool jersey mesh printed with frogs and lizards.  I'll have to find a fun tee pattern for this one.
Mom also embroidered me a couple of tee towels.  Aren't they cute!?

Thank you!!
*****************************************
Today also starts the Mini Wardrobe contest, and so naturally I'm kvetching about my choices!  I'm going to start with the jeans, since I'm very happy with my fabric and the pattern is already traced and altered.  But do I really want to make the capris or do I want a skirt??  A skirt seems so much more spring-y.  Of course, I have about 42 skirts in my closet, so I really don't NEED another one.  (Stay tuned for the one I just finished and will post tomorrow - LOL.)  And the all solid tops palette is making me a little grumpy still.  I'm thinking about swapping out the burdastyle top for a simple kimono sleeve tee in a fab print that I got at Gorgeous Fabrics.  I think I'll just make both tees and see which I like better.  Aaah!  Since I didn't want to start a new project yesterday, I decided to trace, alter and even muslin the burdastyle 02/2010-122 top.  I knew that I would need to seriously raise the neckline as well as FBA the upper bodice, so although I don't generally muslin knit tops, I thought all these changes deserved it - and boy am I glad I did!!
OK, done laughing?  I think I may have been a bit exuberant with my FBA...  At least I got the neckline pretty much figured out.  I  threw out that bodice pattern piece  and started over.  Muslin #2 is much better!

15 comments:

Cindy said...

I admit it...I smirked and even giggled a little at that first picture. The second muslin is way better! It'll be a cute top...what color knit are you going to use for the keeper?

Sam Rose said...

That kimono pattern cracks me up. If I had a girl I would definitely be jealous. What do you do with a muslin after you make it? Take it apart for scraps?

Kitschy Coo said...

I really really wish you'd modelled the muslin knit. Although it probably would fit me so I shouldn't be laughing! The second version looks very cute.

Love your haul too!

Beangirl said...

Oh dear. (snort cough)

The second one is very cute even as a muslin so I think this will be a winner. Nice haul too!

Word verification: gaosp. That's what we did when we saw that first muslin.

amber said...

I'm cracking up at the first picture! <3 Muslin #2 looks much better. I think that will ultimately be a very pretty top for you.

Love the owl flannel. I have that Kyoto pattern with plans to make the dress version for my friend's daughter, who is hapa. It just screamed out to me when I saw it.

Maryissewfast said...

Oh Katie! Thanks for keeping it real! I think we all have muslins that come out quirky from time to time...thanks for sharing yours and giving us a smile today. The second take turned out much better!

Gretchen the Household Deity said...

Thank you for sharing that first muslin! It was quite amusing. The second one looks great. I like that pattern but don't want to go to the bother of filling in the neckline so it can be worn with a bra.

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Yeah, all I can say is WOW on the first one...just WOW. Now the second one is fabulous - I immediately wanted to get the pattern, but I'm so flat-chested that I know it won't look the same. :(

Digs said...

That muslin brings to mind the term "Chrysanthemum chest". Hilarious. You WILL show us the second iteration on the wearer ;) right?

Mary Nanna said...

Muslin number 2 is coooooooool. Love it. Will look great made up.

Audrey said...

I think you should send the first top to Dolly Parton, it would probably fit her fine. The second version is so cute. I am sure it will look great on you.

Pam said...

Super cute top!!

Julia said...

It's so nice to have a mom who knows what you will like! That first top might just fit me! Oh yeah, I got my first two Ottobres today!

Sarahbelle said...

You wish you still had mega-boobs like that!!!!
Actually, no one wants boobs like that.
It turned out great, though.
Nice work.
So glad you like your Expo haul -- I can't wait to see the skirt you make of the black/pink/eggshell lawn.

Angela said...

Hehehe.. glad you did a muslin. :) Do you think you could tell me how you did the FBA? I want to trace this pattern and need to do an FBA, but I've never done one. I've looked at pattern books and it seems to be more geared toward wovens. Would it be the same concept on a knit? Thanks!