Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Sewing Group preview...

My sewing group* is meeting tonight and I am planning to give a little mini lesson on gathering.  I was planning to highlight 3 methods - traditional, elastic thread, and clear elastic.  I wanted to have  little project to show the methods with, but not anything too complicated or large.  It hit me on Sunday - Barbie clothes!!  They're small, and hey - Barbie likes her ruffles, right?  I decided to make two items, a "sundress" with a hemline ruffle (traditional gathering) and a shirred bodice (elastic thread) and a full skirt with the waistline gathered with clear elastic.
Here is my first trial run.  I didn't get too fancy with the edge finishes - they're just overcast.  Funnily enough, we don't actually have any Barbies around here, so I had to look up her measurements online.  Have you ever googled "Barbie measurements"?  Pretty funny stuff...

*For those who might be wondering, my sewing group is a bunch of ladies from my church who are interested in and/or like to sew.  We all get together every other week and work on projects.  We usually have a brief lesson that I teach and then we work on whatever we want, and are all there to help out when we get stuck.  I love it!!

9 comments:

Linda L said...

Sounds like a nice group. Barbie idea was a good one!

Cindy said...

Sounds like a fun group!

gwensews said...

I applaud you for taking the time to make samples and teach sewing. I belong to several sewing groups, and know it's difficul to get volunteers. Have you checked out your local ASG groups?

Kathi said...

That sounds like so much fun!! My oldest has Cub Scouts tonight. He hasn't had it for several weeks due to snow!

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

You are so funny! I used to make Barbie clothes - made a beautiful wedding dress out of white eyelet (these were for my sister). Now do all the ladies bring their sewing machines or do you demo on one? So cool...

KID, MD said...

I do love my group! Gwen - My mom is an ASG member, and I keep meaning to look them up around here, but haven't ever. I should!
Sister - We all bring our machines, but I demo on mine. My church group also owns an old Pfaff that we use if someone wants to sew, but doesn't have a machine.

Gretchen the Household Deity said...

Looks like fun! One had better not google "Barbie measurements" from work, I think.

amber said...

That is really cool that you have a sewing group at your church. When I was little, I so wished my mom would sew Barbie clothes for me. Instead, she handed me the pattern, her scraps and a needle and thread and told me to "have fun!" They were just too small and fiddly for her to work on. Heh. ;)

Silknmore said...

If you make Barbie clothes, you are going to get a "mother of the year" award.
http://fabricateandmira.wordpress.com/