Tuesday, November 3, 2009

"Ease"iest sleeve ever!

After taking a little break making my Jalie tops, I was ready to get to work on my jacket again. Next up were the sleeves, and I was excited about using a technique I had read about several places, most recently when Erica B. made her Vogue 8601. Instead of easing the sleeve in using the traditional 2 rows of gathering stitches, you use a bias strip of Armo-Rite (scavenged from an old tie in my case) and stretch it to fit the armscye as you sew.
Here is the Armo-Rite sewn onto my sleeve cap.
And here is the sleeve! Perfectly eased with no puckers or tucks.
And how great is that plaid matching across the sleeve, hey? Next up - bagging the lining, then I will just have to attach the chain and trim and it will be done! I'm starting to see the end in sight. I might make that Nov 15th deadline after all!

3 comments:

Pippi creates said...

This looks like an interesting technique to avoid the gathering stitches (which aften end up with gathering the seelve a little). I will have to try this next time I fit a sleeve. The jacket looks great so far.

gwensews said...

That jacket is looking good!

Kathi said...

The jacket looks awesome!! Great job matching the sleeves with the coat. I am really impressed with it. Can't wait to see the trim!